Berkshire County Resources
Berkshire Atheneum (Pittsfield Library).
The Berkshire Athenaeum's Local History & Genealogy Department specializes in vital records and histories for the New England and New York area, with extensive coverage of Massachusetts. The library maintains a database (built by The Berkshire Family History Association) of over 1100 books to make your searches of the facilities' holdings more efficient. Among them are church and cemetery collections, census materials, newspapers, and other information services including special collections. They are a Latter Day Saints (LDS) Center for ordering film from FamilySearch.org, and carry many self-help and history related books to assist genealogical researchers.
In 2010, the library was the recipient of 70,000 rolls of donated microfilm and books from a local branch of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Staff and volunteers work with the public to identify their needs of the patron. When available, staff can retrieve needed microfilm from the appropriate storage area(s).
Other New England Sites / Links
- Connecticut Library & State Archives
- Connecticut Historical Society
- Massachusetts Library & State Archives
- New England Historical Genealogical Society
- New York Library & State Archives
- New York Historical Society
- New Hampshire Library & State Archives
- Vermont Library & State Archives
- Vermont Historical Society